I grew up on Disney. After having traveled to all Disney theme parks in the world, I have a special connection with Disneyland. It’s where most of my best memories were made, from childhood till now.
Everyone of my family members have their own special ride. One that they love and have to go on every time we visit the park. My mum’s favorite is The Haunted Mansion. It’s a Small World is not really my thing, but to my little sister, Natasha, it is the one ride that makes her smile from ear to ear. My youngest sister, Nadia, adores Pirates of The Caribbean. My Dad just loves the park as a whole. He will be happy riding on Dumbo. For my wife, she loves Splash Mountain. I proposed to her on that ride, but that is another story for another day.
I am more of a thrill-seeker. I love roller coasters and experiences that bring butterflies to my stomach like skydiving or bungee jumping. You could say that I am an adrenaline junkie, but somehow when I head back to TDL, my favorite attractions are not necessarily the coasters. The nostalgia of Disneyland gets to me every time I visit the park. The storytelling of some of the attractions are so perfect that it surpasses the adrenaline rush that I get from skydiving or bungee jumping. The way some attractions manage to capture all my senses just blows me away.
Without further ado, I would like to share with you guys my top 5 attractions in Disneyland.
1) Pooh’s Hunny Hunt – Hands down, the best family friendly dark ride in the world. This is always the first attraction that I go get Fastpass for whenever I am in TDL. It beats the other Pooh rides in Hong Kong and the ones in the States. It just blows the competition away. This is a must definitely see attraction when you are visiting TDL. I suggest you guys get Fastpass for this attraction as soon as you enter the park cause they run out fast. This ride is exclusive to TDR.
2) Splash Mountain – The only thrill ride on this list. This is my favorite thrill ride in TDL. Brilliant storytelling, amazing animatronics, a great way to cool down in the summer, great soundtrack, the drop is just amazing and the ride that assisted in me getting married and becoming a father. What’s not to like? They take a ride photo of you during the big drop. Try to keep your face as straight as possible for that. It’s a little harder than you think.
3) Pirates of the Caribbean – A Disney classic. One that has spawned a series of Hollywood Blockbusters. Storytelling at it’s best. One of the few surviving rides that Walt Disney himself came up with. Need I say more?
4) Haunted Mansion – Another Disney classic. The movie didn’t do as well as it’s neighbor’s over at Adventureland, but as a theme park attraction, it is certainly one of the best. Great illusions and Disney’s storytelling at it’s best once again.
5) Peter Pan’s Flight – I used to watch Peter Pan when I was a kid everyday. It is my favorite full length animation. When I went on this ride for the first time as a kid, I was hooked. No pun intended. I remember my Dad sitting with his arms around me on this ride and smiling while he looked at me. I will never forget the love that I felt from him on that occasion while we were on this attraction. This attraction will always have a special place in my heart.